 Early
Jericho houses had no mains water or drainage; a pump or well outside the
back door provided water and the toilet was a privy
or
earth closet down the garden. In some cases, these basic
services were shared by two or more households. By-law housing from
1866 generally meant mains water laid on to the
scullery and to an outside toilet which was then linked to the main
drainage; over many years, these benefits were gradually extended to older
properties. The
scullery would have had a sink and a coal-fired
copper for boiling up the week's washing.
The
copper also provided hot water for the weekly wash or for bath night
in a tin bath in the back living room.
In many cases bathrooms were not fitted until the 1960s and residents used
the local public bath house. |