Jericho: a 19th century suburb Page 2 of 15
Next Page
Layout  
Jericho in Oxford was built in stages between 1825 and the early 1880s, largely by speculative builders, whose terraces were predominantly aimed at the working class market. The area boundaries are Walton Street to the east, the Oxford Canal to the west, Worcester Place to the south and Walton Well Road to the north.
In 1951 most of 19th century Jericho still survived, and it consisted of 736 dwellings which housed 2,240 people. Jericho was built over 60 years and the present network of streets came into being bit by bit, not as the result of a master plan. The land was held by three main owners: St John's College, the Rev. P.W. Furse, and Henry Ward. Building began in 1825 on the frontages nearest to the present day Ruskin college on the west side of Walton Street. These first houses are quite grand and were not aimed at the working class tenant.
Previous Page
Jericho Features
Next Page