After
the City's building by-laws were introduced in 1866 almost all new houses
had mains water and mains drainage and the outside toilet became a feature
of the back extension. Building by-laws
introduced minimum standards which influenced every aspect of house design
including for example the height of rooms and the size of window openings.
St. John's College, as developers of the last parts of Jericho in the 1870s,
also insisted that all houses built on their land should have a minimum
value, which encouraged the building of larger houses such as those in Walton
Crescent and Richmond Road. These properties were on three floors or
more and were much grander than those in the earlier streets. However, even
in the later house, water was generally available only in the
scullery. and there was no bathroom.
Most Jericho houses and got a bathroom in the 20th century by extending
out into the back garden or by sacrificing
a bedroom. |